Wednesday, February 14, 2018 — After many years away, Richard Macphail is back!
‘All aboard – for the inaugural journey of HMS Prog’
- HMS Prog: March 2nd - 4th 2018. Hull to Amsterdam and back. Richard will be giving a presentation, answering questions and signing copies of his vivid new book My Book Of Genesis
- Echoes the first ever Genesis overseas trip, also by ferry to the continent, in 1971
- See the famous 1971 'lifejackets' photo below
- To coincide with the 50th anniversary of the first Genesis release (1968)
Richard Macphail will also guest at...
- The Italian Genesis Weekend at Nocera Umbra, Perugia, July 20th - 22nd 2018
- The 35th Haldern Pop Festival, Germany, August 9th -11th 2018
...and there is more in the pipeline TBC
Current book availability:
- My Book Of Genesis is now available in the UK/Europe in print; in America on import via Wymer; in Australia and New Zealand via print-on-demand; and worldwide via Kindle
About the book:
My Book Of Genesis by Richard Macphail with Chris Charlesworth:
- Features stories of Richard's life and times with Anon, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Peter Hammill and Leonard Cohen
- Features contributions from each member of Genesis
- Illustrated with 30 photographs
- Foreword by Peter Gabriel
Chapter titles include... * In the beginning * Mick Jagger – The Devil incarnate * The wilderness years * Eyeless in Gaza * Cottage life * A little bit of charisma * Mellotronics * The grand tour * The guy in the top hat * Why did you leave Genesis? * Why did Peter leave Genesis? * The kraken wakes * Busted in St Gallen * Birds on the wire * The reunion
"I think that we would have killed each other without Rich" — Mike Rutherford
School friend, aide-de-camp and tour manager, Richard Macphail was for almost five years the glue that held Genesis together, and in his affectionate memoir he tells his own unique story of the group’s early years.
Richard was the singer in Anon, the Charterhouse school group that included Mike Rutherford and Anthony Phillips, which would later merge with Peter Gabriel and Tony Banks’ group The Garden Wall to become Genesis. Richard then became their one-man road crew, shepherding them from gig to gig, providing a cottage where they could live and rehearse and offering support when it was most needed.
Richard was there when Phil Collins was auditioned, when Steve Hackett was recruited to replace Anthony Phillips and when Peter Gabriel left for a solo career. He was in the thick of it as they fulfilled their ambitions, signing to Charisma, touring Europe and America and recording a series of albums that fans fondly remember as the bedrock of Genesis’ extraordinary career.
In his book’s final chapters he describes his ongoing relationship with Peter, Mike, Tony, Phil and Steve, a friendship that has endured for over 50 years.
Media contact: for more info please contact us at Delta PR
"My Book of Genesis" by Richard Macphail