VANWYCK — I Was Innocent
New video and first UK festival appearance announced...
VanWyck is pleased to share her new video for the single I Was Innocent, out now via Excelsior Recordings.
We can also reveal VanWyck's next single Maybe, Maybe Not, due 18th February 2022. A private link is below.
These songs come from the upcoming album The Epic Tale of the Stranded Man — due for release 8th April 2022.
And the Dutch artist will make her first UK festival appearance at the Lost Causes Festival, Croft Farm, near Tewkesbury on 26th February 2022, with her guitarist Reyer Zwart.
- New video — here is the excellent new I Was Innocent video (public link)...
"It’s based upon a 500 year old engraving that's in the collection of the national museum. I’ve researched artworks that deal with the subject of guilt, penitence and innocence. Drawings made in prisons etc. I was struck by this one because it was the oldest I could find, from 1525, yet it felt so very modern," says VanWyck.
- VanWyck's next single Maybe, Maybe Not is due 18th February 2022 (private link below)...
It's an anthem for the indecisive, the loiterers, the unsure, those who can’t seem to make up their minds: one step forward, two-steps back people; maybe, maybe not.
VanWyck says, "Being stuck, not daring to move forward, the protagonist looks down (sees pavement) and looks up (sees sky) and can't see anything to his or her liking. The only answer is to just keep walking, even if you don't know where to go."
“It's a really personal song. I’ve always had this feeling that if all fails, I can just start walking. As a last resort, I could gather my stuff in a backpack and move on, keep walking. In the pandemic, when it looked like all shows would be cancelled for a long time, I decided that if that happened I would just start walking and have an adventure. An escapist longing, but maybe also a sincere desire to be some kind of pilgrim, to be truly free. But I stayed put. Hence the song.”
The video for Maybe, Maybe Not is forthcoming. Preview now available. This is a photograph taken at the video shoot.
- For further information about VanWyck and the forthcoming album due 8th April 2022...
- Single/Video I Was Innocent — out now
- Single/Video Maybe, Maybe Not — due 18th February 2022
- UK debut festival date — 26th Feb 2022 Lost Causes Festival, Croft Farm, Nr. Tewkesbury
- Further UK live dates are TBA
- VanWyck has previously released three albums on her own Maiden Name Records
- This is VanWyck's first release on Excelsior Recordings
- The Epic Tale of the Stranded Man — due for release 8th April 2022
- Album formats — CD / Vinyl / Digital
- Album catalogue number — EXCEL96665